Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What a month!!!

When I got home from my trip it was my birthday. I had so many birthday wishes it just made my day. It was a very nice birthday, but I only have a few years left in the 30's and I don't know how I feel about being 40. Dennis will be 60 by then so I should still feel pretty young. Ha!A few days later was girl's camp. It was AMAZING!!! I can't tell you how much I LOVE these girls. It was so spiritual and unifying. I think all of our testimonies grew. I cannot wait until next year. We won the award for first place for conoeing. They also wrote humble on our award. I think that fits. Our girls were cheering for everyone!


While I was away girl's camp, Chris passed out again. Emily was home alone with him and had to call 911 because she didn't know what to do. She was so brave. Chris also turned his mission papers in to the bishop. We should be getting a call within a few weeks. This was the picture I took so he could send it with his paper. I guess the prophet might see this one. He also slipped on the bathroom floor and hit his head in the shower. Then he lost his balance backwards and fell through the wall in the hallway. I had to take him to the emergency room for a CT scan at 1 a.m. because he hit his head in the same spot his brain contusion was. Everything looked good and he came home. He has had a headache since and has been trying to rest. Poor boy!

Maybe he should have been wearing his famous watermelon helmet. This is some of the silly things my kids and their friends do for fun. They have been making these helmets for a few years now. Thankfully they have learned that the watermelon that they clean out can be eaten. The first time I came home and Chris and his friend were wearing matching halves and a big pile of watermelon was on the grass. Boys are so silly sometimes!



What has Dennis been up to? This. When he is not at work you can find him in his favorite chair sleeping away. A lot of times when I am still talking to him. Sometimes he won't get up and I have to sleep alone. Then he wakes up in his chair and asks why I let him sleep in the chair again. Let him? He won't budge!
My mom also had some heart problems this month. I had the flu on the same day so rushing up to Salt Lake was a little rough. She had to have emergency heart surgery. They thought her heart could just stop any time so they gave her a pacemaker/defibrillator. I brought her home and she fell and hit her head so I stayed with her all weekend. She tried to go back to work too early so she ended up in the E.R. again. this time Emily had the flu. I rushed up and when she was released I made her come home with me so I could take care of her better. We brought her back home and she seems to be doing better.
Joseph has started football again. It is very exciting because he is playing Jr. High football now. Chris is helping to coach his team. I love football season. This is Joseph on his first day of 7th grade. He was so excited, especially about the girls. He said that there was this "freakin' hot girl" that was in almost all of his classes. Oh boy! He also told me that he saw a girl sitting alone at lunch and so him and his friends went and sat by her. That makes a mom's heart happy to know that her 12 year old would notice and do something about a lonely girl. (Not for looks either, for plain old kindness.) He really is a sweet boy when he isn't mad at me.

Next we have Emily who started her first day of 5th grade today. She was very excited and woke up early. We did her nails and her hair. She was so particular this year. She wanted a peace sign messenger bag, not a backpack. She thought she looked so cool this morning. I think she did too. I hope this year goes well for my little girl. She wants to fit in so badly. She said that she might even try being nice so she can be popular. Being nice? What a new concept. I hope she can pull it off.

6 comments:

Teri said...

I can't wait to chat with you over breakfast. It has been FAR too long. I had no idea about Emily calling 911 for Chris. What an amazing girl.
See you Friday!!

The Greathouse Family said...

What a month!!! You are a SOLDIER!!! I love how Emily is going to try being nice this year at school. It made me laugh!!! I love your family so much and they are looking so awesome!

Charles is planning his Birthday Party already. It's at Calico Ghost Town. I told him he could invite 2 friends. He wants Joseph to come. So, if there's any way he can make it on a Saturday in February or March, I'll schedule it around Joseph!

Jaime said...

Emily is a rock star!! How awesome!! Good luck with the nice thing, it's hard for me sometimes!!
And Chris looks so handsome in his picture! And I love how Joseph and his friends sat by the girl!!

lindseyfrancom said...

Emily is so freakin' funny!

School starting is so exciting! How sweet that Joseph and his friends sat by a lonely girl. Tell him good luck with football!

I can't wait for Chris to get his mission call! Those helmets are hilarious!

I am glad to hear that Chris and you mom are doing ok.

And, last but not least, I am glad you finally blogged so I could get a glimpse of whats been going on!

Cyndi said...

I wish I could make every heartache of yours go away. I hope everything is going okay for your mom and Chris. You deserve only the best!
I can't believe Chris is actually sending in his papers. Ben's kind of freaking that all of his deacons have now caught up to him in EQ. But I know he's glad too because they are all such a great group of guys.
Joseph is awesome! I switched schools in junior high and had one day of being that lonely girl at lunch because the only friends I had were on another lunch. It was so hard. What an amazing kid he is to see that and do something about it.
Emily looks so cool! I can't believe you had time to paint her nails before school! You know, she's already scored some major points with our family in the nice department. I think she'll do just great.
You have such a great family, Mindy. It is such a reflection of you being such a wonderful mom. Thank you so much for being such a wonderful friend to me and my family. I don't know how we'll ever be able to repay you for the support, comfort, and love you've shown us. Love you!

Nicole Love said...

I hope your mom keeps doing better. Your husband reminds me of court.I came home from girls camp and Savannah was watching a movie. I asked Court how she was for him and he said she was good that whole morning. She had been watching movies all morning. (that would be why.) Emily is so freaking cute! Isn't she going to be in young woman's soon?