Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010

Our Christmas this year started on Christmas Eve Eve. We all gathered that evening as a family and watched "The Nativity Story". It was a wonderful reminder of why we celebrate this time of year. Christopher followed the movie with a very wonderful lesson and poem he had written. It was so beautiful. It was a great start to a wonderful Christmas. I am sure glad we are able to understand the meaning behind Christmas. I am ever so grateful for the birth of my Savior.
Since Dennis had to work on Christmas morning we had to do things a little different this year. Dennis took the kids on an errand in the afternoon while Santa came a little early. When they got home the stockings were filled and they went on a hunt for their presents from Santa. After they found their gifts we all gathered around for the opening of the presents. Annabelle LOVED opening her presents!

Dennis liked his gifts too. His big gift from me was 12 new pairs of garments. He was thrilled. I'm not even joking....he was very excited.

Okay, so this is the best picture. I love it!!!! I locked Emily out of her room right after Thanksgiving. I told her that I was hiding all of the gifts in there and she was locked out until Christmas. I don't think Joseph enjoyed the extra company for a month, but it was necessary. I worked so hard remodeling her room. It was a frightful mess because she had too much stuff and she needed space to work. My first purchase was a beautiful desk from D.I. It is huge and sturdy and perfect for her to make her creations. The next step was a chair. I found a zebra one that I loved and the rest of the room fell into place. I found zebra bedding, a lamp, a rug, wall hangings, etc. It was all coming together nicely. It took me many hours of work to get it together, but every minute of effort is so worth it to see that face. I covered her eyes and when she opened them she looked around and just screamed and teared up in gratitude. My favorite Christmas memory maybe ever!!


She even woke up on Christmas morning and made her bed. That has never happened before. I love my sweet girl and love that she has a perfect room to live in.

Then there's Joseph. He thought his gift belonged to Christopher. He was so jealous before Christmas. He wanted a T.V. so badly. I shouldn't have done so much, but Joseph just works so hard and I couldn't resist making him so incredibly happy. I had him close his eyes and as you can see when he figured out the T.V. and blue ray player were his, he was VERY excited. He loves having three remotes.

Christopher didn't really ask for anything. Well, a car, but that is never going to happen. I decided he might like a T.V. too. He did, but getting Chris excited is not that easy. I think a car might have been the only thing that brought great expressions of surprise and amazement, but he is going to have to earn that one on his own.
After we opened our gifts, we put on our new jammies. Emily, my mom, and I all had matching ones. The boys all got personalized shirts with theirs. They turned out great. We then played games and eventually watched a movie together before bed. This head bands game is super fun to play all together and you get to look silly too.

The next morning, Christmas, we all slept in! Boy that is a huge difference than any other year. When I woke up I felt like I needed to go to the cemetery at once. I don't know why, but I just wanted to go. I made everyone go in their jammies. We brought Sarah a couple things and all of a sudden I started sobbing. The immediate comfort from my children in the form of hugs was wonderful. I hope Sarah knows how included she truly is in our family.

Joseph played with his new toy and we got ready for Dennis to get home and his kids to come over.
We had a great dinner of Honey Baked Ham. It was yummy. Then we opened our presents to and from Dennis' kids. Christopher received a temporary tattoo kit that his big step-sister gave him. He thought he looked pretty darn cool. Emily gave manicures to her big sisters and Christine, as you can see, a make over. We all played games together before they left. Emily went to bed and my two boys and I went to the movies. I love dates with my boys. We had a lot of fun and got to spend so much time together as a family. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Wowza!! What an awesome Christmas!! Can you be my mom? :)

Teri said...

I'm so glad you guys had such an amazing Christmas!!! I can't wait to get together with you and play games!!!!

lindseyfrancom said...

Glad you had a Merry Christmas! Emily's room looks great- that is so cool you were able to keep it a suprise and capture the moment with her reaction! I know Sarah feels included. You are such a sweet mom.

Cyndi said...

I love Emily's gift especially-she'll never forget just how much thought and work went into that new room. I'm so glad you could include Sarah too, even if it was with tears. She still knows how much you love her and miss her. I think it's safe to say that your kids have the best mom ever!!