Sunday, June 20, 2010

Best Father's Day Ever

Father's Day is not my favorite holiday. I, in fact, detest this holiday. I grew up with a very abusive father. I did go to church when I was little for a very short time and I remember having to sing the "I'm so glad when daddy comes home" song. It made me a little disgusted. I hated when my dad came home because it was just a matter of time before he beat the crap out of me. It wasn't until I was married and celebrated the father of my babies that I began to find joy in this holiday. It was short lived and now father's day is a painful reminder of the father my children have to live without and the father I live with, without our child. Let's just say, it's a rough day for my little family. Today was different. Today changed everything. Today, I witnessed one of the most amazing, beautiful things of my life. Christopher conferred the Aaronic priesthood on Joseph and ordained him a Deacon. That came with a beautiful blessing given by my first born son. The tears were falling rapidly as I felt the spirit prompting Christopher. His first blessing will never be forgotten. He did it with ease and confidence. The spirit guided him eloquently and beautifully. Christopher acted as a father for his brother today. Nothing could have been more perfect to me. Joseph looks up to Chris. Dennis is their step father. As much as I would love for him to be close to my kids like a father, it just isn't like that. Yet. I hope someday things will change. Emily is mean to him. She hates anyone who isn't her daddy. She did hug him today though and said some nice things to him. That was huge. All of the kids said some nice things, but it just isn't the same as their dad. Chris is the next best thing to his brother and sister. There is no one on this earth that could have meant so much to Joseph on this special day he received the priesthood. A mother's heart is full and proud. I am proud of my two worthy priesthood holder sons. Chris and I are taking Joseph with some of the YW on Thursday to the temple for the first time. What a special day that will be as well. I am grateful for the gospel and the joy it brings to the lives of my family. What a blessed day!

6 comments:

Teri said...

I was an AMAZING ordination. Thank you so much for inviting Earl and I to be there. It was such an honor. The spirit was so strong. It was a wonderful thing to experience on Father's Day. Love you all!!!

Jaime said...

Wow. What an amazing thing to have 2 priesthood holders as sons. And to see Christopher in such a role. I'm glad you had a good day.

Laurie said...

Wow, what an amazing day!! Your boys are great examples!

Beard Family said...

That is amazing. What a special occasion. We love you and are glad you had a good day!!!!

lindseyfrancom said...

I am so glad to have read this Mindy. Hang on to this Father's Day for the others if you need to. I understand a bit what you are talking about and I am trying to make this holiday a wonderful day for my husband. Congratulations to Joseph for recieving the preisthood, it is such a blessing. a big hug and smile to a wonderful mom!

angie said...

Oh Mindy. I love this post and I am so happy for you and what a special day you had! You have 2 really great boys and I'm so proud of them too!