Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our Very Own Georgie Porgie and Other Updates

Where to begin? My mom just left this morning after a week long visit from California. The kids loved having her here. I wanted to take some pictures of them all together when she was here, but my mom didn't want to put on make-up and apparently has my same aversion to photographs as I do. Maybe next time. We didn't do much, just relax and hang out. She DID however do All my laundry. That is a huge feat in which I am quite pleased. Thank you mom! We will miss her. She did get to watch Joseph's game on Tuesday. He was AWESOME!! He ran in for a touchdown dragging people behind him(it was so cool!) He had a caught punt return dragging his tacklers again behind. He made an incredible tackle. He did many more little things and stole the show. All kinds of parents and spectators came up after the game and told him how great it was. I even had one of those "That's my son!" moments. I really actually yelled that out. I was so proud. The bad news. Today I took him to the Dr. to check out his sore thumb. It is broken and he is more than likley out for three weeks. I feel so deprived! I look forward to my Tuesday high. I frequently get a little teary eyed during the games as I walk the sidelines. His dad would be so proud. When he was just a 2 pound little runt his daddy called him his little linebacker. I feel sad that he isn't there to share in this joy of his little miracle boy he almost lost. Instead Joseph lost him. Irony is the story of my life. Okay, enough of that, I swear the pain is just right there on the surface waiting to seep out at any time. So on to my Georgie Porgie story. Emily kissed a boy and made him cry. She likes this little boy at school and isn't shy about it. She definitely comes by this honestly from her mother. She has pushed him up against the wall to get an answer to whether he likes her or not, tackled him, tells him how she feels, made hime cards,etc. You get the point. Well, today she took it to another level. She ran home so excited to tell us that she kissed him on the cheek. I was immediately concerned. There are serious sexual harrassment laws in schools these days even for the youngest of perpetrators. The mom of this little boy works in the office at the school. I called her to appologize immediately. She said her son told her and he was upset. The mom was very nice and not too concerned. I told her I was handling my daughter and it shouldn't happen again. I wish I could have said it WOULDN'T happen again, but with Emily I can't promise anything. She is a little embarrassed by my making such a big deal out of it and is refusing to applogize tomorrow as of right now, but hopefully will be ready by tomorrow. My poor daughter. I really hope she gets a handle on her social skills before she gets herself into all kinds of trouble. Unfortunately, having special needs doesn't really make the world really that compassionate like one might think. People of all ages tend to dimiss special needs people with no real thought of the pain they deal with and their family deals with every day. I don't want to ramble on so i'll leave it at that. My daughter and lots of others are struggling to "fit in" our high expectation society. Life is hard enough for us, it's brutal for them. "Love Don't Judge" is my motto!!!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Poor Emily, I remember being kissed by a little boy in 1st grade named Jeremy. Things have gotten so complicated. She's so sweet and innocent and honest about things like my Jeremy. If you love someone, tell them!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hope you're filming Joseph! I'd love to see some of his moves! I'm sure Josh is watching- you know he wouldn't miss it. I'm sorry that you have to deal with all of those emotions- it makes me feel really sad sometimes.

I'm glad you got to spend time with your mom. I hope you got to catch up.

As for Emily, she kissed him on the cheek!! It's not like she punched him! That girl can get what she wants!! But, seriously, it might have a little to do with her undeveloped social skills, but honestly, knowing her mother, she would have probably done that anyway!

Ariane said...

That's such a bummer that Joseph's thumb is broken. Poor kid!! And as for the kissing thing.... I don't think it had anything to do with underdeveloped social skills. She's a kid, she likes a boy and she took the bull by the horns and did something about it. It's not like she did anything sinister!! If it makes you feel better, she was hanging out with my boys this afternoon and didn't kiss any of them and the boys think she's cool. So there!

Teri said...

What a bummer about Joseph's thumb. Is he taking it hard? I've gotta call and catch up!