Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Timpanogos Caves National Monument

On Labor Day we went for a family hike (and one of Joseph's friends) to Timpanogos Caves. It was a treacherous hike! It was a very steep 1 1/2 mile hike in which you gain over 1050ft. in elevation. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. It was a little scary too having no fences or rails. I was just hoping Emily didn't fall off the side of the mountain. Very breathtaking, literally and figuratively. This is everyone as we reached the top of the hike ready for our hour long cave tour.

Chris looking cute in the cave!


Emily really did awesome on the hike and she loved the cave, asking LOTS of questions!


Joseph hiked better than all of us and loved the cave!














Dennis loves his stalactites!



This is called "The Heart" of the cave due to the massive size of this stalactite. It is said to weigh over 4,000 pounds. It is so beautiful!




Timpanogos Cave is known for its high concentration of helictites - a spiraling cave formation that seems to defy gravity. Helictites are formed when calcite crystals and dissolved impurities are forced out of a tiny central canal in the helictite by hydrostatic pressure.


4 comments:

The Greathouse Family said...

Oh, I LOVE all the pictures! I wish I was there, too! Of course, I would have actually died on the hike and then that would have messed up your fun day while they sent for the helicopter and extra military men to lift my body onto the platform. So, I'm just glad you got to go! Let's go together next summer!

The Greathouse Family said...

P.S. I like how you try to sound all smart with the cave terminology!

Teri said...

Wow! I didn't know you were such a great scientist! I have great memories of that hike from my younger days, but we haven't gone in forever. Maybe when our kids are bigger!

If you and Jamie go, I'm coming, too!

The Greathouse Family said...

Yeah, let's do it! Girl's Hike!!