Friday, October 1, 2010

Elder Christopher Joshua Moore

Chris got his mission call this Wednesday. I hadn't slept well for days in anticipation for this momentous event. I got a map and had many people take a guess where he might go. I think we had at least a hundred guesses. I woke up very early on Wednesday morning and called the post office a bunch of times so they could pull his letter out. My mom spent the night out of excitement and at 9:00 a.m. we both drove to the post office and picked up the most beautiful white envelope I had ever seen. My mom and I were DYING to open it!! Christopher wouldn't let us, so we waited, and waited, and waited. It truly was a LONG day.
Chris and his friend Derrick, who will be at the MTC for a week with Chris. Derrick is going to San Jose, Ca.

Christopher and my mom!


We had many friends and neighbors come and join us for the opening of the letter.

So, about 30 minutes before he was going to open it Chris let my mom and I open the letter as long as we didn't tell anyone, including him. I wish he would have let us do it earlier, but I was glad to have the chance to soak it in for a bit before he opened it. Here he is opening the letter. He was called to the Texas Houston East Mission.
I was told that it is dubbed "THE" mission. That is super cool that he got THE mission. He loves cowboy hats and has been looking for a new one. I bet he could find a pretty cool one in Houston. It looks like from the map that he might be in Louisiana a bit too. I cannot express enough how proud I am of Christopher. He has had such a rough road and he is still dealing with a lot at this time, but he has a testimony that is strong and beautiful. He has become a righteous young man that will be a great missionary. I know he will change lives and I know his life will change as well. I cannot wait to watch him grow through this experience. I am so grateful for the gospel and the miracles it works in our lives. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church of God. I know that Christopher will be doing a mighty work. He leaves on December 15, 2010 for the MTC. That gives me a little less than 10 weeks to get him ready to go. I have already cried. I have had my sweet boy with me since I was 17 and I do not know how to be without him. It is a hard experience to let go of my children. I know they need to move forward, but I just want to hold on a little bit longer. I guess I have a few more weeks to hold on and then I need to cut the apron strings. It will be bitter sweet. I couldn't have asked for a better son and in spite of my crazy mothering he has grown in to an amazing person that I get the great privilege to call son. I love you Christopher and am so proud of you!! Congratulations!! You will be a wonderful missionary!






5 comments:

Cyndi said...

I think the fact that Chris is such a great kid, um I mean, man, is that he has had such a wonderful, supporting, and loving mom. You are the best! He is lucky to have you!

Congrats to Chris on going to THE mission. That is awesome! They are so lucky to be getting THE best missionary there!!

Jaime said...

Hooray!!! Thanks for sharing your story with us!! What a blessing he will be to the people of Texas!! Wait til you get the letters home!! It'll make giving him up to the Lord a little easier. Love you!!

Teri said...

I'm with Cyndi. I think Chris is the young man he is because of his wonderful mom. You are a great example to me.

Whatever we can help with to get him ready, just let us know!

Love you all!!!

Abby said...

Oh my goodness...I am so excited for him! I hadn't been online for a couple of days when I saw you getting ready to go shopping for his suits...I had no idea that he'd already received his call! Congratulations! He is serving in a great place...Naki served in Texas, and loved absolutely EVERY minute of it. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to know that someone he loves as much as he loves Chris, gets to serve in his favorite place! I am so excited for him.

lindseyfrancom said...

YAY! THE Mission! I am really excited for him! Congrats to both of you. Chris is a great guy and you are a wonderful mother. It's great he is leaving when you wanted him to! How exciting!