Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin Carving

I just love holidays with my kids. Some people hate Halloween, but our family loves it. We love to all carve pumpkins together. Holiday traditions just bring a lot of joy and closeness for us. Josh started the serious pumpkin carving tradition and got Christopher into making very advanced designs. Before Josh, I just had him doing a very simple, uneven, jack-o-lantern. Now Chris has passed this passion down to Joseph and Emily is coming along.

I LOVE Christopher's this year. I think I might have him enter it this Saturday at our ward party. Josh is proud, I just know it.


Joseph is getting better and did pretty darn good this year. He is very serious about it. We were all impressed with his outcome!

Pumpkin carving is quite a frustrating feat for Emily. Usually, she just paints them because she doesn't want to stab her pumpkin friend. This year she wanted to be like the boys. It took a lot of whining and a couple fits, but she did an excellent job. I am so proud of how patient she was to finish this and it looks great!
Going to the pumpkin patch is something we have done for many years. The kids loved it, but the pumpkins were so darn expensive. We decided this year to get bigger pumpkins at Macey's. All of the pumpkins weighed over 30 pounds each. Their scales only go up to 30 pounds so they never charge you for more than 30. The pumpkins were 9 cents a pound last week. That is $8.10 for over a hundred pounds worth of pumpkin. I think we have officially outgrown the pumpkin patch and are in love with HUGE cheap pumpkins.

4 comments:

Teri said...

Those pumpkins are awesome! I don't have the patience and usually paint my own. But the kids go hog-wild on their own. Chris better enter his jack-o-lantern, or I'm going to enter it for him!!

Jaime said...

Hooray for HUGE cheap pumpkins!!! The pumpkin patch is fun and the kids did a great job on their pumpkins!

Cyndi said...

We bagged the pumpkin patch this year too because it was snowing! Grr...I kinda hate Utah, but you know that. Yay for cheap pumpkins though, right?! We love the carving thing too!!

lindseyfrancom said...

AWESOME pumpkins! I love traditions! ANd yes, the cheap ones are the best!