Friday, April 23, 2010

Emily's Field Trip

Today I went with Emily's class to the Museum of Ancient History at Thanksgiving Point. AKA The dinosaur museum.




This is Emily pretending to be terrified of the T-Rex. I think she pulled it off! This other picture below was one of their favorite areas. It has wet sand that they can play in and they played for quite a long time.




This was the group I was in charge of. They all stayed with me very well. The other favorite part is below. It is dry sand they can dig for fossils in. We then ate our lunch in the museum and got back on the buses for the other half of the field trip.





It was supposed to be the other half, but because of time we could only stay here for about 15 minutes. We went to the Kennocott Copper Mines. It has some very cool history. Here are some facts that are pretty cool:




Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Mine has produced more copper than any mine in history -- about 18.1 million tons.

The mine is 2¾ miles across at the top and ¾ of a mile deep. You could stack two Sears Towers on top of each other and still not reach the top of the mine.

The mine is so big, it can be seen by the space shuttle astronauts as they pass over the United States.

By 2015, the mine will be at least 500 feet deeper than it is now.

If you stretched out all the roads in the open pit mine, you'd have 500 miles of roadway -- enough to reach from Salt Lake City to Denver.



This is a tire from the trucks they use at the mines.



The bus ride home was loud! Very loud! I had a great time hanging with Emily today! I love being involved! My kids are my world!

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Awesome field trip! Ok and the size of that mine is blowing my mind. I can't really wrap my head around it. Crazy big.

Teri said...

What a fun field trip! Isn't that mine crazy? Too bad you couldn't be there for very long.

Cyndi said...

Oh how fun! You are such a great mom to go with Emily. I'm sure she loved having you there. I have to admit I'm super jealous that you went to the copper mine. I've never been there even though I've lived here all my life. It looks awesome!!