Sunday, April 25, 2010

Prom and a Birthday

Happy Birthday Josh!
Last night Christopher went to his Senior prom. It was his last school dance and he went for the first time with someone he loves. He said it was wonderful. Kristie looked so beautiful. Her dress was amazing and pink is so her color. Gorgeous!!

This is part of Chris' much larger group of 12 couples.
Emily wanted to pose with the pretty girls.
These are my two handsome boys. Chris in his prom tux and Joseph in his new suit.


Today was Josh's birthday. Emily asked me how old he would have been. 35. He was only 28 when he died. So young. In his honor, I made his favorite dinner. It is homemade pot pie. I made up the recipe myself. It is delicious. I always made it for Josh on special occasions and put a heart in the middle for him. It is Dennis' new favorite too.My kids do not like pot pie (or really much of anything) so Emily picked something that reminded her of her daddy. After Emily's brain surgery, she wouldn't talk or eat. One day in the hospital she asked for corn dogs. Josh was so excited that he went across the street to the mall and bought about 10 corn dogs for her. Ha! So many corn dogs I remember for such a little girl, but Emily ate them (not all of them) and she always thinks of her dad when she eats her favorite food. He loves his babies and his babies love him.


They all helped make and decorate a carrot cake for him. Carrot cake is not their favorite. I know they picked it special for their dad.



We all sat around and talked about our favorite memories and sent some balloons up to heaven. Emily talked about the corn dogs and about when he used to shave his head. She would cry and tell him to put his hair back on. Joseph talked about when he won him a stuffed animal from a carnival game and jumping on the bed dancing with him. Chris has the most memories. He talked about how he taught him how to ride a bike and fishing and football games and much more. I have many favorite memories. Some of my fondest are the times he held me up. He was my rock through some very hard times. He never left my side when Joseph almost died and Emily's brain tumor. That man would have done anything to take care of us. His mom called me today. Thank you Heidi for calling me and talking to me about your son that we all miss. It makes me feel closer to him when we talk. I am grateful for your kind words about my mothering skills. I think he is probably happy with how great his kids are doing. I miss sharing all of it with him, but I'm sure he knows all of it. Happy Birthday Joshua! We love you!


4 comments:

Teri said...

I'm so glad that the pot pie has also become Dennis' favorite as well. That's pretty special. I'm gonna have to get your recipe. I'm so glad you guys had a good day. And your kids are so darn awesome! I LOVE the pics of Kristie and Chris. They're both so gorgeous!

Ariane said...

What a very sweet post. Thank you for sharing. I also love the pics of the prom crew. Gorgeous dresses!!

Cyndi said...

Chris and Kristie look so awesome! How cute are their names?
I told Skylar she should get her picture taken with Joseph and she was soooooo embarrassed! He looked so handsome in that suit.
What a special day for you and your kids. I love the balloons sent to heaven thing. That's just so sweet. I wish I could've met Josh. He seems like a great guy and such a good dad. I'm glad you could remember him on his special day.

P.S. I owe you a huge hug! Check your e-mail.

lindseyfrancom said...

This made me sad and happy at the same time. I think it is absolutely wonderful that you are keeping the memories alive and in the way that you are.

What a cute prom couple. Chris looks so handsome in his tux and Joseph in his suit. I'm sure the girls made Emily so happy!