Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 10th Birthday

On June 14th, my miracle baby turned 10. When I was just 20 weeks pregnant with him I was diagnosed with an incompetant cervex. There was nothing I could do. He wa already falling out and was in the birth cannal. They put me in the hospital and laid me slightly upside down. They gave me grimm odds and basically had me waiting for him to die. I couldn't move. I had a catheter and pooped in a bowl on the bed. I kept laying there. Week after week I laid like that. One doctor told me that there was no medical reason why i was still pregnant. At 26 weeks pregnant I got an infection and they had to take the baby. Unaware of the outcome I was terrified. The odds were still unbearably grimm. He came into this world weighing just 2 lbs. and was 13 inches long. He was even crying. it was a tiny cry that words cannot describe, but he was breathing!! He was rushed next door to CHOC and we were given hour by hour odds of survival. I felt trapped. I had been immobile for 6 weeks without any movemenht or even leg exercises. I had to learn to walk again. It took time. I had a wheelchair, then a walker, and eventually I could walk (very very slowly at first). Joseph beat all the odds. He came home after being in the hospital for 10 weeks and was 3 lbs. 12 oz. He had to remain on oxygen for a few months, but here he is my miracle. Most of you know that story, but just remembering how precious life and our children are puts things into perspective sometimes. He is one of the three most amazing blessings I have ever received. I love my little Jo Jo. Ten years has flown by. Happy Birthday Baby Boy!!!

2 comments:

The Greathouse Family said...

Wow! He's really 10! Happy Birthday, Joseph!

Ariane said...

I didn't know this story! It brought tears to my eyes. We have more in common than I thought. I have miracle babies too and had to spend an insane amount of time in the hospital but it's all worth it, isn't it? Joseph is a gorgeous kid. Thanks for sharing your story.