Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Our Awesome Christmas Trip

On Christmas morning the kids found out they would be going on a trip to Green Bay, Wisconsin to see a Packers game. They are our absolute favorite NFL team. We LOVE the Packers. My love for them began when I met and married the biggest Green Bay fan ever. I had never even heard of them. I learned about football by watching Josh watch the Packers. I eventually started to love the game myself. I took Josh to Green Bay for a game on our first wedding anniversary. It was magical and wonderful. He was like a little boy with his excitement. It is one of my fondest memories ever. From then on I was a huge Packer fan myself. The kids have been raised fans too and it reminds them so much of their dad. I think all things Packers makes them feel close to their dad. This is why I chose this very special gift this year. We had to hurry and get to the airport on Christmas morning. We packed quickly and were out the door.
The kids were surprised and very excited. We went to all the places I went with their dad. First stop, The Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. It has moved since I was there last. It is now actually at the stadium. It was so much fun. I have so many pictures, but could not post them all. They got to do so many fun things inside. It was great. The next stop, The Packers Pro Shop. Every year right before football season since I met Josh we get their catalog in the mail. It is a treat for us all to browse through and circle all the things we want. We were in the two story shop for about 2 hours. Chris saw players from the windows arriving to the stadium. There were even some older players signing autographs in the store. Joseph just couldn't make up his mind. So many things to choose from. It was a huge highlight for sure.

As soon as we left the store, the boys changed into some of their new stuff. They proudly showed off their new jerseys. Emily picked out some other things I'll get to in a minute. She did find this green feather and was quite excited about that.

This statue of Vince Lombardi was just wonderful to see. They show it on TV before every game at Lambeau Field.


Next stop, we went to the movies. Joseph and Emily saw the new Chipmunks movie and Chris and I saw the Sherlock Holmes movie. Then on to the mall. They had those bungee jumping things for kids and they just had to go on them.

Emily used her gift card to Claire's and got some fun things like this mask and her stuffed animals.
These are the things she picked out at the pro shop. PJ's, a foam finger and this lovely mask. So her.

The next day was game day. Joseph couldn't contain his excitement. He had picked out two different footballs at the pro shop because he just couldn't decide. He also got this beanie. He is just so darn cute!

Chris got this turtle neck to go under his jersey. It has a little "G" on the collar. It's amazing how much they can charge for one little letter.
Yes, I got stuff too. I got this shirt and a cool Lambeau Field hoodie. I didn't bring make-up and so this is what you get. Oh, besides the great paint on my face and smeared on my nose. Ha!
Everyone has their face painted and are ready for the game!

This field was built in 1957. They still have aluminum benches. If you can see it was covered in snow. We all wore our ski bibs and heavy jackets. We all got a new Packer jacket for Christmas. We had to sit on the icy benches. It was cold at first.

Emily entertained us all with this mask the whole time. Everyone around us was laughing.

As the stadium filled up to 70,500 people it got a little warmer. We had hot chocolate to keep us warm.
We were seated in the 17th row from the field. They were even better tickets than I could have ever hoped. The Packers beat The Sea Hawks very badly. It was such an exciting and fun game. After the game we walked to Brett Favre's Steak House. That is the same restaurant that I ate at after the game with Josh. We went back to our hotel and the kids went swimming. They swam a lot while we were there. The next day we left for home. It was quite a wonderful memory with my children. Dennis didn't want to come. He doesn't care about the Packers like we do and he didn't want to waste the money we already didn't have for this trip. He was very nice to let us leave on Christmas. It was good to spend time alone with my babies. It was good to get away and have an adventure. Go Pack Go!!!!

8 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh my gosh what a grand adventure!! I'm so glad for you all that you got to go! And go Emily! I would have picked the pajamas too. ;)

The Greathouse Family said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!
You guys did a lot!! It looks like the best vacation ever! I am so happy that you got to do that!!!! I am going to call you to hear all the rest of the details.

lindseyfrancom said...

I have been waiting for this post for what seems like FOREVER! I thought of all of you Christmas morning- the suprise and excitement! I am so glad it was so fun for all of you. These are all great picutres- I LOVE EMILY'S MASK- it is HILARIOUS!

Teri said...

I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!! I love Emily's mask that is SOO her! I'm thrilled that you guys had such a good time. Like Lindsey, I have been waiting very impatiently for this post! I have been very excited for you guys!!

Laurie said...

What a great Christmas! Sounds like an amazing trip! You all look fab in all your Packers gear.

Ronda said...

I see those special memories and I think book. :)

Cyndi said...

Looks like you had an amazing Christmas! What a fun thing to do. You know there's some quote somewhere by Pres. Monson that I cannot find but I love and it goes something like this: Spend your money on memories, not things.

I love that saying because really, your memories are what you'll have forever. What an awesome memory your kiddos and you will now have to join with your memory of going there with Josh. You're a super great mom, Mindy!!

P.S. That mask of Emily's is super scary!!!

Tonia said...

What an incredible way to spend with your kids! Glad you had a wonderful Christmas!