Saturday, December 5, 2009

Six Months

So, today marks six months since my beautiful daughter, Sarah quietly slipped into and out of this Earth. It has been a rough six months and I am learning that the ups and downs won't be over any time soon. I have, however, made great progress. Heavenly Father has blessed me with peace in my pain. I have gone through so many frustrations along this sometimes lonely journey. I think the most frustrating is when people confuse the death of my daughter with a miscarriage. A miscarriage I'm sure is very painful. I just want to clarify for anyone who is confused. My baby, Sarah, was born alive. I held her in my arms as I watched her take breaths. Opening her tiny mouth and taking them in. I held her as she slowly slipped back into Heavenly Father's presence. She is my child. I miss her. If you have ever had children, remember the first few minutes after your child's birth. They joy! Imagine that it ended right there. That was it. That's all the time you got with that child here on Earth. I met her. I love her. I do not understand why people act as if she was less important than any other child. I am learning that people do not not understand death. They don't understand one bit the suffering. It hurts that people that I consider friends and are family act so cold and indifferent to my pain. I am, however surrounded by loving, wonderful people that have been the greatest love and support I could have ever asked for. I just sometimes get blindsided, like today by those who really don't care. I'm grateful that I am given opportunities to heal. Heavenly Father has given me that opportunity through genuine service. My friend's sister had a baby. I felt compelled to give her a few of Sarah's things. I wrapped the pieces carefully with a big lump in my throat. When Joesph left with the gift, I cried. I felt good, but it was difficult. The next day, I found out that this baby girl was very sick and in the NICU. She had ups and downs, but is finally home and very healthy. I felt a genuine love and concern for this baby. I prayed for her. These things are all new and wonderful. I met her today for the first time. I even brought her a couple more of Sarah's things. She was wrapped in Sarah's blanket wearing one of her headbands. I wept, but not with pain. I felt joy knowing that some sweet girl could use Sarah's things. I watched Joseph as he held that baby. He looked so beautiful. It broke my heart. I wanted that to be his sister he was holding and looking at so lovingly. I did hold her. It wasn't terrible at the time. I felt okay. Then. Later today I just lost it. I cried so hard I almost threw up. I couldn't breathe I was crying so hard. I hurt so bad. It is baby steps. Those waves of incredible pain still hit me. Just when I thought. "I'm doing so good. I feel so at peace." The waves of emotion are like the waves of the ocean. They change in strength and depth and direction all the time. I am just hanging by a thread sometimes and sometimes I feel my strength. Sometimes I feel so much pain and other times I feel as if I am so at peace that I shine. I feel bright sometimes. Does that make any sense to you. Tomorrow night I am attending a wonderful memorial. If you have ever read " The Christmas Box" you will know what I'm talking about. The author of that book actually dedicated the Angel at this cemetery. Every year they do a ceremony to remember all of the children who died that year. I will write about it tomorrow after we go. I love doing anything that has to do with my daughter. Happy Six Months, Sarah! I love you!

7 comments:

lindseyfrancom said...

Oh Mindy. The saddness I feel for you as I read this post. The life one has after death, as Abby explained it, is like lightening bolts- just as you described, you think you are fine, then bam it hits you. It is so up and down I hear. I am so sorry today was so hard. How cool that the memorial is put on and that you can be there. I can't wait to hear about it. I really can't imagine going through what you have, I really do wish I could ease your pain. I love you, you are wonderful, amazing and strong.

Cyndi said...

I thought about the lightning bolts too. I'm so sorry Mindy. I know you miss Sarah so much, especially at little milestones like this. There are often times when the lightning bolts hit me about my sister and I feel such a loss that I don't get to have that earthly relationship with her. I know that will never go away for you and I'm sorry that you and your family are missing those moments with your precious Sarah.
You are so kind to share Sarah's things with Baby Ariana, especially since she's been through so much. Honestly, I am blown away with the strength you have to be able to do that. I am glad you were able to hold her, as hard as it was. Now that my baby is letting people hold her a little, feel free to take her anytime you need a little one in your arms.
You shine so brightly in my eyes, Mindy! Thank you for your example! You are amazing!!

Teri said...

As I sit here with tears running down my cheeks, I am so grateful for your sweet Sarah. She has helped me become a better person. I am eternally grateful for that. I love you so much.
You amaze me with your strength. I'm so happy that you were able to meet baby Ariana and hold her. My heart aches for you to have your own baby in your arms.
I love you and appreciate you more than you will ever know.

Beard Family said...

From the first time I met you, you have always amazed me. You are a wonderful friend and member of the church. I am so sorry you have this experience in your life. You have been through so much. I hope the Holy Ghost can be a comfort in the rough times. You are a wonderful mother. Remember that!!!!!!!

The Greathouse Family said...

Mindy, I don't know what to say... You continue to amaze me. I learn so much from you. I pray that you continue to feel God's love in your life and that it calms your pain. I also pray that you can feel the love of those of us that care so much about you. I wish there was a way for me to infuse you heart will all of the love I feel for you. You are the most beautiful person I know.

Cory said...

MIndy- You are such an amazing woman. No one can understand what you're going through except for Heavenly Father. Even if some one has gone through something very similar, it is not the same because you are not the same. We all grieve differently and that's okay. I think and pray for you often. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. I will be there after Christmas for about a week if you would like to get together.

Jaime said...

BIG HUGS!!! It is such a painful journey. Wish I was there to hug you every day.