Friday, May 7, 2010

911

I don't know why a lot of things have happened in my life. The only thing I do know is that my children are my everything. I have had to feel the sting of thinking they were all going to die and my Sarah did. Joseph was my first almost death. The doctors told us that he would surely die. I was in the hospital with him at 20 weeks gestation and he was already in the birth canal. That little boy held on for six more weeks while I lay motionless and helpless just waiting for his death. Even after he was born at 2 pounds they gave him grim odds of survival or quality of life. He is truly a gift, a miracle, a joy straight from Heavenly Father. The next happened during my pregnancy with Emily. I started bleeding. So much that it was running down my legs and filling my socks with blood. When I got to the ER they said I had lost the baby. They sent me into ultrasound for the final verification and there she was.....doing flips. I mean literally she was flipping all around like a crazy person. They have no medical explanation for what happened. Which is exactly the phrase one of my doctors said with Joseph. He said, "I don't know what you believe, but there is no medical explanation for why you are still pregnant." Emily was born and things were just fine until she was 2. She had the strangest behavior and no doctor took me seriously. It was just a few days after she turned three that I took her to the emergency room and told them that I would not leave until they told me what was wrong with my daughter. They treated me like the crazy mom and ran a few tests. A now humble doctor came in and told us of the huge mass on my daughters brain. death was imminent. Surgery needed to be done within a few hours. They didn't know if she would even live through the surgery. I had to kiss that little girl like it was the last time I would see her alive. She made it through and does have some damage to her brain which we have to deal with daily and believe me it is a challenge especially for her. Then next was Sarah. She did die and that has been the most heart wrenching experience of my life. I am still hurting and the pain is still very fresh at times. Last night, I thought Christopher might be dead. I heard a big thug upstairs and I told Dennis to check and see if Chris had fallen. He thought I was being strange to think that, but went upstairs to find Chris laying facing down on the ground. I ran upstairs and tried to arouse him with no response. I rolled him over because I seriously couldn't tell if he was breathing. I thought he could be dead. I screamed his name and kept trying to get some response while Dennis called 911 and Joseph looked on. Emily was asleep through everything, thank goodness. I finally saw his chest rise and fall and could feel his heart beating rapidly, but still no response. When the ambulance arrived he was still unresponsive. It took them a while, but he started to wake a little, but was incoherent. I rode in the ambulance with Chris. It was all I could do not to break down and start crying. I was scared. Joseph was at home crying and I wanted to comfort him so badly, but couldn't be in two places at the same time. He was so scared for his brother. It took a few hours before Christopher gained full cognition. He had many friends right there by his side in the ER. They ruled out many things and came to the conclusion it was a probable seizure. He will have an EEG on his brain Monday. He received a blessing and there was much talk after from our Bishop and counselor about Chris getting better for his mission. Chris was out of it, but said, "I'm going on a mission. I promised Him." I asked him several times who "Him" was and finally he said in a quiet voice, "Heavenly Father". I don't know if that means he has been praying a lot and talking to his Heavenly Father or if he spoke with him for a brief moment last night. Either way it's good to know my 18 year old speaks to his Father in Heaven. I will ask him later when he wakes up. He is still asleep. We didn't get home until about 4ish and I am tired, but can't sleep. I just got Joseph off to school. I let him sleep late. It was a scary night. I hope we can get some answers soon. For now he can't drive or do much of anything alone. I am grateful he was safe at home last night when this happened. Having also had a spouse die, I have looked into the face of death many times over the past decade. I keep thinking about what I'm supposed to be learning. I'm still not quite sure. I have learned that life is precious and fragile and should be cherished and never taken for granted. I have also learned that my life will never be what I had hoped for, but I need to make sure what I do have I learn to appreciate better because just when you think the best parts have been taken away, a reminder comes to show you that you have more to lose and those are the precious gifts that need our focus. Heavenly Father knows what he is doing. I don't. I just hope I can do the things necessary to receive the promptings when they come. I didn't mean for a long depressing post, but I was just feeling overwhelmed by my experiences and needed to let them out.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Mindy-
I can't imagine the struggles you've faced or loss you have felt or the panic of finding your son unresponsive. I hope you all are doing better. Your family is in our prayers. We miss you and love you!

Cyndi said...

I'm so sorry Mindy. My heart is aching with you. I remember when my Nick went through his whole thing and the terror I felt about the possibility of losing him. Those kinds of things just change you forever. I think it makes you reevaluate life and how you want to live it and what is truly important. It really is so precious and the hardest part of all is that it is temporary and filled with challenges, for some more than seems possibly fair.
When I see how truly scary and challenging your life has been I am amazed time and time again at what a wonderful person you are. Many would become bitter from having to deal with so much. You continue to have faith in our Heavenly Father through it all. I am in awe of you and your strength! Please know you are in our prayers and our thoughts. Lots of love headed your way!!

Teri said...

My sweet friend-
You are the strongest person I know. I have learned so much from you and wish you didn't have to go through all of these hard things. I am amazed at your courage and faith. We love you all so much!

Beard Family said...

I am so sorry. I wish I could help. All I can do, I feel, is pray for you and Christopher. I think it is great Chris is talking to his Heavenly Father, and that he wants to serve a mission. You are a great Mom. We love you and hope you get answers on Monday. We are thinking of you. Love you lots.
Stephanie

The Greathouse Family said...

Oh Mindy! I am so sorry! I have been out all day and Ronda told me about your post and I wanted to call you but I had left my phone at home. What a day for me to be a flaky friend! I love you so much and will pray for Chris. Please keep us updated on his condition. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now.

Tonia and John said...

Mindy, thinking of you and your family! You are in my thoughts and truly are in my prayers. Keep holding on! Love, Tonia

lindseyfrancom said...

First of all, don't apologize for a "long, depressing" post. How scary, you truely are amazing Mindy, for how well you handle these challenges. I am continually praying for you, Chris and the rest of your family. Let me know how the EEG goes in the morning. I love you and missed seeing you today but hope your Mother's Day went well. Talk to you later.

Cory said...

Mindy- My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Please keep us updated.